Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Whoof

Well, day started out slow-ish -- came into work with a 1'o'clock assignment, and some people to call and computing things to keep me busy till then. Then, about noon, the Ed tells me that there's another story coming my way, and to work around the current assignment. My 1'o'clock was easy enough -- couple portraits of a vision doctor, and some photos of the young lady putting on a benefit concert -- but then came the other one.

I've never really covered homeless shelters. I've been to them, but never with the intent to photograph. So I really was at a bit of a loss. I've seen the dozens upon dozens of other peoples' work on the homeless, but I've never considered how I would shoot the story. I'm not saying that I shot a story on Birmingham's homeless today -- it was more like sticking my little toe in -- but I still got up close and personal with the idea, and I'm not sure where I sit with it.

I'll think on it more and see if I can't find the root issue. Let y'all know, because I'm sure you're tantalized by the thought of my personal introspection.

Anyway, shot the stuff this afternoon, finished my shift, took a break, and then went back for a few more shots as they were setting up beds for the night. As I was leaving -- and I love this, because somebody, somewhere, at pretty much any moment a camera is visible, will say this -- somebody said, "hey, cameraman, take my picture."

Thus, I give you Sherman Love ...

1 comment:

=^..^= said...

sherman love looks lovely :)

i like that picture. it's like he just wants to hug ya ;-)