Monday, October 13, 2008

Dudes making left turns ...

... also known as "NASCAR," is quite possibly the most boring sport I've ever had to shoot. Well, besides the Flanderson County Intercollegiate Staring Contest. But that's a different story. But I'm always open to the idea that something previously boring may becoming interesting if I can reach the correct mindset through enough exposure to the correct environment.

But this was not the case in Talladega. Regre-- actually, not regrettably. I don't think I'm missing out on much.

And, since it was so boring, we'll just skip to the highlights of the race (READ: the wrecks). But first, a feature:
NASCAR fans in the infield hold up a US flag during the national anthem at the Talladega Superspeedway.
So I said, "Hey, I've never had to shoot a NASCAR event before. Any pointers?" And they said, "Well, they normally make left turns. So if they take a right turn, take a picture." Thus, the above.
Even the fans agree: you watch cars go round and round for hours, and the best parts are when things go wrong.

I might find this stuff interesting someday, from the right perspective.

Say, behind a steering wheel. Or ... well, that's about the only way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that G.K. Chesterson once said "There is no such thing on earth as an uninteresting subject; the only thing that can exist is an uninterested person."

If hundreds of thousands of people can find an interest in dudes making left turns, so can you. Probably with the help of beer. And don't you forget it, son.