Wednesday, October 15, 2008

First of a couple updates

Poor little blog ... I haven't been posting to you like I should ... won't you forgive me? Here -- here's a couple updates. See, we're still friends?
___
I was standing in my apartment, getting ready for a shower after a long-ish day, and suddenly sirens go by. No big deal, this side of town usually has a siren or two going; it'd be odd if there were no sirens. And then another goes by, same direction. Coincidence, I say, keep heading for a shower. Two minutes later, I'm standing in boxers and socks, listening to the eighth or ninth siren go up the hill, so I sigh and jump back into my clothes, jump into my car with my camera on the passenger seat, and slam up the hill toward the reds and blues.

A driver had gone off the side of the hill below Vulcan, but above the residential neighborhoods. His Nissan got caught in the kudzu on the hill, and he came out of it "alert and talkative," which seems to be standard cop talk for "okay." No drugs or alcohol involved, by the way -- he apparently got ill, tried to pull over in the parking lot at the top of the hill, and just lost control.

Firefighters from station 2 rappel down the kudzu-covered slope to the driver.

Two firefighters from station 2 ready the driver for retrieval.

Two firefighters from station 2 get an assist from a winch as they move the driver up the slope.

More in a few minutes, gotta take care of something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudzu?

Anonymous said...

Took me a second to figure out. That shit is everywhere. And the only thing I know that can destroy it other than fire (sometimes) is a goat. Strangely though most counties would rather have kudzu overtaking the town than a few goats running around. Hrm.

Were you shooting in natural light or did you use some fill flash?