Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Minor note from Election Day

Runoff elections were today -- standard stuff, "go and find some election day photos, if they tell you can't shoot inside, shoot parking, et al, et al" and then some candidates. And the candidate stuff was okay, though it was a lot more waiting around than usual. But I digress.

I drove north through Tarrant and then Pinson, knowing that both cities were having minor elections. In Tarrant, I pulled into the city hall parking lot, waved at the couple of older fellas out in the parking lot, went inside and did my thing. The folks inside, as I'm taking photos and talking, mention, "hey, if you want to talk to the candidates they're outside."

Turns out the older guys hanging out in the parking lot, waving at folks and chatting idly, were the candidates for the city council position. Friends for ages and ages, hardworking folk, nice guys. One thing that caught my eye was that one was missing fingers on both hands. And I mean all his fingers. I asked (cautiously and carefully, of course) and apparently he had to get them amputated not two months ago, but is learning quite well how to adapt without them.

So this might turn into a story later, but for now here's some photos of the fellas.

I love cool old people. One day, I might be one.

No comments: