Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cans! And more portraits!

One of the local high schools does a can drive every year during homecoming week -- it used to be a big competition between them and their rivals, but now it's downgraded to just a competition between homerooms and school clubs. They overshot their initial goal of 30,000 cans, and managed to hit somewhere in the range of 37,000, so the three charity groups that got to split the collection of canned goodness were quite happy. Dat's a lotta cans.
_____
Okay, I won't claim to know how to evaluate art. I'm curious about the subject, I'd like to learn and what not, but it's just not happening at the moment. It especially catches my ear when the words "controversial" or "possibly blasphemous" come into play. So when I got told to head out and shoot the artist of a "controversial" religious artist who specializes in surrealism, I thought, "cool." Honestly, though, it wasn't that bad. Maybe my sense of controversial is a little more extreme, or maybe the folks at the gallery at a little ... thinner skinned ...? Anyway, the artists showed up after a while, reminded me a lot of one of my old roommates, and things went pretty quickly and comfortably.
The last one was just playing around with a very white bench they had in the gallery. I really wanted a honeycomb or snoot or something on my flash to narrow the light, but I've yet to cannibalize any of the collected cardboard junk at my apartment into something sufficient. Soon, however -- soon. And all my problems will be solved.
Ha, okay ...

EDIT: Oh, and points to the person who can identify the roommate this guy reminded me of -- you'd have to have known me for a good while.

No comments: