Monday, November 17, 2008

Walmart doesn't do layaway?

Seems a bit ... wrong, I guess, but Walmart doesn't do layaway anymore. One of the last strongholds of layaway items is Kmart, so I got to go rummage around in the back for a while, looking at all the Christmas toys.There's something about blatant and massive materialism that makes me squirm in a guilty, depressed fashion. I mean, I just felt my heart sink when I was in there, looking at all the toys, thinking about all the little kids who think they really, really, really want Tonka's new Plastic POS Dump Truck. Sigh, just thinking about it right now kind of gets me down. I know -- I'm a terrible American.Since they're one of the last places to do layaway (by the by: it's getting harder and harder to pronounce that word in my head), they do a pretty brisk business. All the department heads get into it. They've got a full upstairs storage facility behind the office filled to the brim, and were having to reorganize their storage loft (first picture) when I got there.
Joy Smith was Christmas shopping for her little girls. And apparently, that game, prominently displayed in her hands, is going to be the "big gift" for her eldest daughter. And that picture, in which Joy and aforementioned game are the focal point, ran on the cover of the Money section last week. And I just ruined a Christmas surprise for a little girl.

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe if she sees the photo she'll think her mama was holding a pacl of toilet paper like I did.

Jake Daniels said...

I can only hope.