Saturday, November 15, 2008

Artists, Veterans' Day, and my new favorite magazine

These are both from a while back, but I'm having to shuffle out some backlogged stuff (as per my usual updating methods). This first set is of artist Paul Cordes Wilm setting up shop early at a local arts festival. There wasn't much else going on that morning on the grounds, but I liked the guy's stuff. Also, he seemed like one of those types with whom I'd enjoy sharing a couple drinks and talking bull. _____
Veteran's day at West Jefferson Elementary was pretty neat. I mean, it was nice and quite respectful and very touching at times, but I still got the feel that it was just another assembly to the knee-highs in attendance. It was mainly presentations and performances by the kids, with a couple slideshows tossed into the mix. I had to leave for an assignment cross town before it was over, unfortunately.
_____
Finally, I discovered my new favorite magazine, mental_floss. Being of that special caste of geek, the Quiz Bowl Clan, it had come into my periphery a couple years ago, but with one thing or another it got passed over a couple times. Then I had to shoot a group photo of their main staff one morning, and they gave me one of the latest issues with their names underlined so they wouldn't have to write them down ... sure ... anyway, I eventually got around to reading it one night as I did my laundry. Friggin' awesome. Did you know that Bob Barker (of "The Price is Right" fame) has a black belt in Karate and used to train with Chuck Norris? Or that there's a chef in Chicago who can make you a cheeseburger that tastes like spaghetti and meatballs? Or that Rin Tin Tin was one of two German Shepard pups brought home by an American soldier during WWII and was, for a time, the highest paid actor in Hollywood? I LOVE THIS STUFF.

More later -- ciao!

No comments: