Friday, July 4, 2008

This part sort of sucks

Yeah, so the internship is going well -- I'm learning (or at least, I hope I am) and I'm enjoying the experience so far. But I'm still friendless. I like the people I work with, but that's not the same as having someone I can call and say, "hey, I'm not doing anything tonight, so you wanna hang out?" This hanging out with the friend-of-an-uncle thing is looking a little bleaker each time it comes up. The last time, there was mention of things becoming "mayhem" if I joined her and her crew and her boyfriend showed up. ... I mean, what the hell? Sounds like a great way to meet ... hi, I'm Jake, and that guy wielding the barstool must be your boyfriend ...

It's weird -- I go out and meet a dozen people in a day, talk to them, get their names, their numbers, and find out what they do, or why they are who they are, or what makes them special, and then I shake their hand and they go their way and I go mine. I go back to the office and eventually "home" though I don't really feel that my little apartment is a home just yet, and I'm alone.

I've gone down two lonely roads in the past couple months. The first was the move from Athens to Calhoun, from a half dozen roommates and friends to two friends from high school who had obviously decided I wasn't worth their time. But I had my family there, at least for the latter half of my time there. I had my dogs. And Chana was only an hour or so away. Now I've gone from Calhoun to Birmingham, and from having my family and dogs to having nothing waiting for me at home.

I called Chana tonight to talk because I hadn't talked to her since earlier this week. She was hanging out with her friends. I felt a little strained talking to her because I miss her and I'm feel quite alone out here, but neither she nor anybody else can do anything about it. And it honestly makes me angry and frustrated, with being sad coming as an aftertaste. I can meet people like nothing when it comes to my job, but I have no idea (or, as yet, time) how to do it otherwise.

Yeah, this is just part of moving somewhere new.

Yeah, it'll pass.

But it's a bitch all the same.

No comments: