Monday, June 16, 2008

Mmmkay

I was exhausted for some unknown reason yesterday, so I'm still kind of recovering from the whole effort of traveling to Birmingham, 'Bama, to find decent housing. My dear darling Chana drove us (well, I took over after a while) from Atlanta down to ye ole Magic City where we got a room for the night and then rose, bright and early by her standards though late-ish by mine, to make an appointment ten minutes away.

Though I'm about to completely blow past the bit where the agent forgot about the appointment and we ended up looking at some place else before meeting her an hour late, everything worked out in the end and I've got a nice place in Birmingham that was built in the 1920s and still looks readily available as the set for a film noir flick. We cruised the city and checked out my future employment in downtown B-ham (which I have affectionately begun to call it), got some lunch at a cafe not too far from said employer (at just the right moment to avert disastrous crankiness from both of us), and spoke of many things, love and life and kittens and splitting the atom and such things of philosophers and madmen. Excuse me, "mad-people," for the politically correct.

I had a good time overall, though that may have been the company as well as completing my desired task. Also, seeing the city was heartening. It's a good size for a city, not too huge-mongous and not too crazy-small.

I'd post some of the few photos I have of the place, but I'm at work (though I'm not doing much work today -- just not a lot to do right now) and can't really get to the photos. Uploaded some photos, scanned some photos, corrected some photos, uploaded some video, shot a bunch of kids at the pool for a later article, took a half-friggin-hour to finally realize that there's some catastrophic issue severing all fax lines between Calhoun and Birmingham so I had to send something overnight to the leasing offices ... and skipped lunch.

Oh, yes, the day's been thrilling.

No comments: