Monday, October 22, 2007

Somebody shoot me

I've begun an experiment that may or may not result in my total failure in life. To be more specific, my roommates (bad influences, all of them) convinced me last Saturday that it would be a good idea to load "World of Warcraft" onto my computer. And thus it began. The uploading, the downloading, the emailing, the headache, the long wait, and then I was finally signed up, 10 free days of adventuring, killing various fantasy animals, and running around in a pretty well-designed environment. As my sister and my best friend warned me, "It's another addiction, Jake! Bad! Bad, bad, bad!"

Eh, we'll see. But after my 10 free days, I'll probably just cancel the whole thing. $15 a month is not terrible, but I like doing other things, like salsa dancing and, you know, eating, which require money as well. But at least I will be able to say I ventured through WoW and survived. Not to mention I'm thinking about doing a comparison piece with "Guild Wars." And thusly the battle began ...

Other news - still sore.

Yet more news - the SLC (Student Learning Center, for those poor souls not living in Athens) was shut down this morning due to a bomb threat. I was headed for my first class when I got waved off by the cops, who just said, "Bom' threa'." Ah, gotcha. So I hung around as they evacuated everybody, took some pictures, ran into someone from my writing class who was getting the story, and took some more pictures. He can have the words, I'll take the pictures. I like it like that.

Bomb threats. Some bastard probably had an exam this morning, woke up and just didn't feel like taking it. Pretty damn inconsiderate. (As I write this, I sort of assume the entire building will collapse or something, making me eat my words, as always.)

Aleks and Zorana are headed into Atlanta today to try to see the Dalai Lama. I know I should be more interested - he's a massive international political figure, he's controversial, et cetera, et al - but I can't really miss my photojournalism class.

Later.

No comments: